I happen to have a Meatball Shaping Tool (a stocking stuffer from years ago that I was surprised I still had in my utensil drawer!) that made shaping the meatballs in uniform size a lot easier and less messy.
Lisa's Homemade Meatballs
- 1 small onion, grated (will be very wet)
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese - this may be too much - so you can reduce to your taste
- 1/3 cup Italian-style bread crumbs - I used Gillian Food’s Gluten Free bread crumbs
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more for seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more for seasoning
- 1/2 pound (8 ounces) ground beef*
- 1/2 pound (8 ounces) ground veal*
- *1 pound (16 ounces) Meatloaf mix can be used in place of the beef and veal
Position an oven rack in the lower 1/3 of the oven. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or tinfoil
In a large bowl, combine the onion, Parmesan, bread crumbs, egg, ketchup, garlic, salt, and pepper. Add the beef and veal. Using your hands, combine all ingredients gently but thoroughly. Shape the meat mixture into 16 (1 1/2-inch-diameter - golf ball size) meatballs and place on the prepared baking sheet. Bake the meatballs for 15 minutes until cooked through.
The meatballs can be frozen and used as needed.